Monday, September 19, 2011

Castleton

It is a long time since I was here last and as I stepped upon the paths I trod all those years ago I stood today feeling the smells and feelings of then, as real as those years ago and compared to now. I often see my old and new self standing side by side as I re-visit places I haven’t seen for a while.  The area is familiar but I still feel like I am discovering things for the first time – discovering how they are today with me as I am.

Winnets Pass is as gorgeous as I remember:DSC00291

I took a walk up to Peveril castle

 DSC00343

DSC00302 

 DSC00311

I was the first visitor of the day and had the whole place to myself for a bit which was wonderful. The views were gorgeous and I peered over the wall to an old favourite place of mine: Cave dale

DSC00293

where I saw this:

 DSC00292

After a nice cup of coffee and a sit down (or sleep in Boots’ case) I decided to take a short stroll along cavedale which turned into an epic walk up through around and over and back down. It was actually really enjoyable. 

DSC00318

DSC00322

DSC00327

we eventually dropped back down into Castleton. I took a drive through the country and decided to track down some places in Sheffield. The people I wanted to see were out which was a shame, but it was quite extraordinary reminding myself of the places that were so familiar all those years ago. Returning all these years later; everything has changed yet feels the same.

Today I am off to find a cave. I spent a lot of time in this cave and a friend and I decided we would live there instead of student accommodation. Unfortunately the accommodation grant people wouldn’t accept it so we didn’t.

I had a little faded red Renault 4 with the gear stick in the dashboard in those days. It was a marvellous little car that gave us all a tremendous amount of joy and laughter particularly as it wasn’t too keen on going up hills.

3 Comments:

Blogger WeepingCross said...

You should offer some of these photos to the Derbyshire Tourist Board as postcards!

8:08 AM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

what a lovely thing to say! I wonder how well the Jesus [symbol] you one will sell...

8:13 AM  
Blogger John Witts said...

Hee Hee! You evoke happy memories of time spent in Shiny Sheff between '81 and '83.

I drove the same roads in a similarly hill-averse 1955 Morris Minor.

(Is 'the cave' The Blue John Cavern?)

Lucky you to be back!

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home