Monday, September 12, 2011

Motorcycles and Motorcycle claims

I was wrong...or rather the website was wrong. Maffi took me to work this morning via the motorcycle shop and it IS open on Mondays except in winter. I have arranged insurance and I hope to pick the bike up this afternoon.
As I have some time I telephoned the company who are involved in trying to claim off the car that started the fire that burnt my motorcycle to a cinder. When I telephoned them a few weeks ago they said I was to send a letter in with a quote to replace everything that was lost in the fire. I did this. I then telephoned today to see if there was any progress.
Apparently, the chap tells me, it is impossible. Unless I can prove that the car fire started because of the owner of the vehicles fault then I am not going to get anything back. I wonder why they couldn't tell me this weeks ago. I am not even convinced they are correct. I am too tired and cross to even think about it right now.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Malcolm said...

Hi Bones

Another long post, but I hope they're helping.

You mentioned these people you've been speaking to 'are involved in trying to claim off the car that started the fire.'

From what you said, it sounds like a separate company acting on your behalf to recover your uninsured losses.

Technically it's not necessary for you to prove negligence on the part of the car's owner. (I won't bore you with such things as Proximate Cause or Rylands vs Fletcher. Boring, but useful as legal precedents usually are).

Make sure your claim has been passed to their insurers and they should respond. (See my previous post).

Have your insurers made you an offer of settlement yet, and if so, was it the full sum insured detailed in the policy?

Regards

Malcolm

ps. If you'd like to contact me directly, let me know and I'll provide you with email details or a phone number.

1:23 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

Hello Malcolm
I find the whole thing mind blowingly baffling!!! I don't think they ARE helping. My insurance company contract out all the hard work and this other company is meant to be tracking down the other car to get uninsured losses. I am following your posts and now I have the time to actually chase this up (although I am rather exhausted) I will be able to. I find the whole thing staggering! I do appreciate your comments, thank you!

My settlement for the actualy machine is dealt with via another company and they have agreed to pay the full amount the bike was insured for which is a realistic price too. I am happy with that bit.

1:35 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

Malcolm - PS yes please. My email is my full name at yahoodotcodotuk

6:53 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

full name as in mortimerbones

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home