Monday, August 06, 2012

Sewing

All girls can NOT sew.

Why my grandfather, who could also knit, never passed this skill onto me is beyond me.

I certainly didn't inherit the gene my sister did... you know.... the one that meant the bedroom floor would be covered in material and all sorts of clothing would change size or shape over night or have an extra wing added here and there.... not to mention the sequins. Dear dear dear.

Nor did I inherit the other gene that flew around our house of great confidence despite no evidence.

Nor the gene that got someone else to do it.

No. Sewing is not my forte. I always knew gaffa tape and staples was part of the 'advanced clothing repair' skills.

Indeed I had to resort to suxh emergency repairs after three of the family had a go at making a phone case. The oldest would have stepped out to buy such an item but as her wisdom was not there it was left to the other three of us.... Actually, families are rather good at productivity and the knots, stitch (SMALLER, they have to be smaller was the cry) and gaffa tape have held together rather well. Even the poppers are still on two weeks later!

As the last attempt, albeit by the collective family, was such a success I decided I would do some sewing.

I even got a kit from the supermarket.

My father boasts that he can thread a needle without his monocle. Well, I bet he would need a bicycle (a double
Monocle) to do this particular needle.

The scissors are ridiculous and only cut when serious friction is applied.... which results in an unravelled thread. Not only that but the needle bends when I try to push it through the material.

Insane.

I am a stubborn creature when I want to be and the sewing is done but I think I like Mr Paris' suggestion of using a nut and bolt.

The top tip on getting all the sewing done is to reduce the amount of sewing that needs doing. By the time i was in a position to deploy the first stitch the other 3 items suddenly don't need doing any more.

Yes, I have written to the sewing kit company about their tools.

5 Comments:

Blogger John Witts said...

Rivets.....

The only way forward.

:-)

11:23 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Haha - you'd join me in 'hating' my sister then?
What colour is THAT cotton??

12:48 AM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

I don't think I understand...what is 'THAT cotton?'

I don't think I hate anyone not even in inverted commas.

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderweb and an iron work wonders,if you have an iron

7:36 PM  
Blogger nb.bobcat said...

My sewing is strong - but not pretty. Most of my sewing was done on repairing horse rugs etc so being pretty not necessary, being strong was.

My Mother also didn't pass on the correct gene to me (or my sister).

word thingy is

49 sticki

(how appropriate)

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home