Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Banbury collision

I left Banbury this morning and headed south again.  I wasn’t feeling the brightest but after a while the wind and fresh air seemed to perk me up.

Just out of Banbury a boat came the other way. I am not sure what happened, but the front of my boat suddenly flung over and hit theirs; I felt absolutely terrible. I  stopped and moored up in case they wanted to come and shout at me but they kept going (I could still here the shouts from the bowels of the boat).  What amazes me is that it can so easily happen to anyone (being a poor helmsmen) at the most obscure times and how easy it is to forget that.

I regained my composure and carried on.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww that was a shock, hope all is ok? and at least you stopped which was good they had the oportunity to come back to you if they wanted.

Free2live

6:49 PM  
Blogger jonali said...

Hi, this seems to happen.
On our first trial trip with Tormentil (we hadn't even bought her) the front suddenly swung towards the boat coming the other way. It was a very windy day. The other driver looked an absolute liveaboard pro, with pipe and flat cap. Luckiliy we backed up and managed to miss each other. As Jon apologised profusely and said it was the wind the man removed his pipe and said in a lovely northern accent (we were on the Huddersfield) 'tha's nowt thee can do about t'wind lad' (I swear he did) and then went peacefully on his way.
If we had actually made contact he might not have been so benign though.
Cheers,
Ali (nb Tormentil)

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home