Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Fisher Row

I have just been to talk to the lovely lady in the general office and discovered she is reading a really interesting book: Fisher Row: Fishermen, Bargemen & Canal Boatmen in Oxford. 1500- 1900 by Mary Prior. 

I looked it up on Amazon and it can be purchased, at a snitch, for £221. It mentions the floating Chapel I wrote about some time ago – and there is a picture of it c.1860.  The pictures of fishers row are amazing, as is the one of Hythe Bridge, Wharf and Canal.  It looks like a fascinating book  about occupational communities, but sadly I must do my number crunching and return the book before I sit and read it all!

 

3 Comments:

Blogger WeepingCross said...

That's more than 50p a page - prettty good going! You could just stoke your stove with £5 notes and take a trip to Osney Lock and get the same effect ...!

6:09 PM  
Blogger Andy Tidy said...

I thought that you had missed out the decimal point - but no.
Capt A

8:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I used to live two doors from Mary Prior. Love the book and Oxfordshire libraries have two copies - if you don't have a ticket I can order it for you.

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home