Wednesday, February 17, 2010

User Groups, BW and lift bridges

I have learnt from the blogs of Oakfield and  Milly M that the lift bridge in Thrupp is in the process of being motorised.  It was a surprise to me that it was being done so soon, but is it really necessary?  Thrupp is one of the only lift bridges on the southern Oxford that is on a tourist hot spot.  Thrupp is perfect for cake eaters, canoeists (you can hire them there) and walkers alike, so it is not often that single-handers have to open the bridge themselves. Not only that, it is easy to access and until Joe (I think it was Joe) retired it was balanced. It has always, in my book at least, been the lightest, best maintained and easiest lift bridge to use.  Even the ring that BW put for boaters to chain it down hasn’t been removed – unlike on the others! OK it is in completely the wrong place, but it is there.  Why are BW spending all the money on Thrupp lift bridge when the lock gate at Shipton is almost impossible to open, when the lift bridge at Shipton is heavier than a thousand giants.  Why fix the bridge that doesn’t need fixing, especially when there are three further south that are dire, really dire.

I know user groups liaise with BW, but do BW just liaise and do what they like anyway? Why are the rings under the balance beam and almost impossible to use, why are the bollards (don’t mention the bollards) on the wrong side!? It seems to me that BW does whatever they want, irrespective of the practicality, necessity and expense. Such frivolous spending is fine for the rich, but I certainly don’t put BW in that category, do they I wonder?

2 Comments:

Blogger Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

They have mended Shipton but even if they hadn't it would be a major job getting power there

11:49 AM  
Blogger nb.bobcat said...

I didn't know you could hire canoeists at Thrupp. Maybe I should get a couple for my canoe then I wouldn't have to paddle it myself? Do they go off if you keep them too long?

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home