Saturday, January 27, 2007

fixed or moveable furniture?

I am one of those people who like to change their surroundings from time to time, and indeed one of the joys of cleaning (there aren’t really any!) is being able to periodically get behind furniture, or move books from one place to another thus cleaning the shelves. I call this cleaning, but really it is an act I like to embark upon periodically which is actually called ‘re-discovery’. Last night I started the big ‘sort out’ of the boat I promised myself the other day. This involved putting books from one ugly wide bookcase, into a lovely tall bookcase in a different room. In the process I have moved several bits of furniture around, and now have a vaguely ‘new look’ on the boat. This is something I wouldn’t be able to do if I had fixed furniture everywhere. However, I think there are a few things that should be fixed:
A cupboard inside the door for coats; a bed; erm…. Looking around that seems to be it. I think a dinette is a jolly good idea and but I think I am going to make mine out of four single box seats rather than 2 double ones, which can then be moved around at a whim.
Fixed kitchens are a super idea too.

Having had a ‘shuffle’ of my stuff and still not quite having finished putting it all back together, I am sitting here surrounded by chaos. I think I can only really conclude that I am not a minimalist, but a maximalist. My lifestyle really doesn’t suit boat life!

I must get my camera and memory stick to make friends so I can upload some picks!

2 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

Keep it up Mort' you're doing a great job. I think you are right re the fixed items. Although I have yet to buy a boat, I rather like the idea of having furniture that can be folded - tables, chairs etc, hopefully, this would give a bit more room.

That's the general idea, however, I expect once I do get a boat, it'll all change

10:27 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Get J to take a photo of you sitting in all the 'organisation'. I envision some sort of n space going on.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home