Sunday, January 14, 2007

is boating cold?

No. Boating is not cold... there is certainly no need for it to be. It is winter that can get cold. I have been thinking about the temperature quite a lot recently, not least because it has been so mild. I have just lit my fire, and as I sit here I am feeling a bit of a chill. I wonder how many boaters keep their fire in 24/7. I don't, but many of the people moored near me do, and indeed one person I know lights their fire at the beginning of the season and snuffs it out at the end. I can certainly see the benefit to keeping it in, I might try it for a few days. One of the major benefits is that heat gets down to the bedroom area. There are other ways to do this - radiators and even apparently an eco-fan. I have neither... but I do have a newspaper to flap around to distribute the warm air...

I have plenty of fire wood now, and am certainly going to keep warm chopping it up. Some needs seasoning, but other bits I think will be fine for this year.

Winter is cold, and there is no reason for a boat or a house to be cold. Boating, like housedwelling gets chilly if you don't heat it or wear proper clothes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

Try some well placed thick fabric curtains to block draughts, I did it last year and it saves a fortune on coal/wood. The only problem is as miss t says - you may well roast!

4:07 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

Thanks for the comments! I only get cold in the morning dip - 3am/4am. My thermals and double duvet have sorted that out now though! Phew.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmmmm! I have to say the image of you in thermals has done nothing to quiet my fevered brow.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home