Friday, July 22, 2011

Generating Quiet

BW make several of their rules quite clear and one of my favourite (as a lover of silence) is the one that keeps the peace and quiet.

I am currently moored near one of these which is bad in so many ways:

IMAG2099

BW states on page 24 point 4(b) in their terms and conditions of licences (here) that “Whilst the Boat is on the Waterway, you must not:

“use any electricity generator, including the Boat's engine, at any mooring along the Waterway between 8pm and 8am, unless you are moored in isolation, out of earshot of other people. [We do not intend this Rule to stop you moving the Boat from the mooring.]”

I could whine and wangle on about these generators (and Silent ones are just as loud if you don’t have a TV, drill or radio to drown it out) but there isn’t much point; I am disheartened. I  understand the reason – after all, we all have reasons and solutions:

1) My engine needs fixing

- Why not just get some leisure batteries and a charging system?

2) I needed to run the engine for some hot water

- try insulating your hot water tank… my water tank stays warm until the morning…..

3) If you don’t tell me it is a problem it isn’t.

- but I don’t want to have to! You might hit me.

I do wonder though - do people really not know that some people go to bed before midnight? Do they not know that quiet is a good thing for some people? Do they not know how incredibly loud their generators are? Do they not know that there are people on the boats near them? Do they not think the BW rules apply to them?

So, back to my neighbour. When I arrived on my mooring I was told that there were 2 generators – one on the boat behind and one on the boat in front. Each night I have only heard the one (I think) from the one from the boat behind. Each night I have counted my blessings that only one generator is running. Last night, had the other started up, I might have spontaneously combusted (which would have solved all sorts of problems).   All I had to do was have a reasonable conversation to find out how the grass lies in these parts. I just wish I had done it a few days ago when it didn’t matter.

I feel sorry for the owner of the generator living next door to such a tetchy lass who likes the quiet and has sleep problems. I wonder if I would hate the generator so much if it wasn’t for the knowledge that when I am trying to sleep in my bed there is a yellow growling monster roaring on the towpath just a boat length away.

Like I said before, at least I can still move. Although for various reasons that won’t solve any of my problems and a noisy generator and no sleep might be the lesser of two evils.


Generators and time keeping are not compatible.

9 Comments:

Blogger A Rival Wild Pyramid said...

Given that there is obviously some sort of problem aboard your neighbouring boat, be it onboard systems, persons, or lifestyle - could you try an approach in a problem-solving mpde so that (possibly the least confrontational issue - mechanical/electrical fault) can be tackled. Puts the ball in their court with offer of assistance without appearing to be threatening...

3:13 PM  
Blogger John Witts said...

On the other hand, you could just attach a limpet mine to the offender's hull, then chug away to a safe distance while whistling innocently to yourself......

4:03 PM  
Blogger Andy Tidy said...

How about a few sugar cubes in the petrol tank?

6:34 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Why do they need electricity?

7:49 PM  
Blogger eeyore said...

Your neighbour is a really approachable guy, his staffy is soft as butter and his consort is lovely. Talk to them!

9:57 AM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

I did go and chat to my neighbour who was brilliant. I returned home last night and slept to a different engine, different boat, running so I have now moved. It's all very well chatting to people about generators but making friends at midnight is not my strong point.. I am constantly grateful that I do have the opportunity to pull the pin...so, I am back on the move, a week early.

10:09 AM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

A wild pyramid...nice idea but I am a bit busy and incompetent to offer practical help. JUst having a word is enough...they aren't to know their neighbour is grouchy and a freak unless I tell them and try to reach a satisfactory conclusion for all.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Edward Afloat said...

Sweet dreams and pastures of peaceful pleasure post passage

6:56 PM  
Blogger Jaqueline Biggs said...

Your countryman WS said it best:"Sleep that knits up the raveled sleeve of care, the death of each day's life, sore labor's bath, balm of hurt minds, great nature's second course, chief nourisher in life's feast." Wishing you all these things and a gentle reminder: it isn't freakish in the least to expect good manners from one's neighbors.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home