Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Aynho to Banbury

Hairy Neil was here on Sunday so we did an early morning car shuffle and prepared to cruise. With the commander in position we were able to set sail:

IMAG2070

There had been a few changes since Hairy Neil came down the Oxford last – firstly Grants Lock wasn’t boarded up with a sign saying ‘not for sale’.

IMAG2074

and there was a lift bridge, not a footbridge, at the bottom of Banbury Lock.

I had a great time cruising taking it in turns to do the lock and the steering. It was quite a pleasant novelty watching my boat coming into the locks.IMAG2073

Kate came to join us when I arrived at the water point in Banbury. We had a cuppa together and set off again. It was only after we had positioned her on the tiller and got her through the lock and lift bridge that she said she hadn’t come to go boating…. but she stayed on board, winded and left after we had moored up.  A fantastic day.

I do like having crew; I am always very fortunate and end up boating with the most interesting people. The time seems to fly by.

It is a good opportunity to put the world to rights and the continual flow of tea (from them or me) is wonderful. 

It is also interesting to be travelling with someone who can point out the changes. Once Hairy Neil mentioned it I was sure that the first time I came past Grants lock it was boarded up…it is easy to forget how things change and take things for granted.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

I remember both of those things, but Bourton cottage was not derelict at that time ether

5:08 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

That is true. I wonder whether only one of them can ever be in one peice at any one time?

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Snowy Owl said...

I just love your pictures of Boots. He is just so typically "lurcher"!!!

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home