Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Dead centre of Banbury

It is 153 years old, has a gothic lodge, has the remains of an abandoned chapel and covers 21 acres. The place were gothic and tat interact is here in Banbury. I prefer graveyards but for a change I thought I would spend my evening in Southam Road Cemetery in Banbury. The place where old and new meet.  Some areas were packed with stones and others weren’t.  The contrast from the view in front to the view behind was striking. One looking cluttered:

IMAG0874

and the other vaguely country church-yard like:

IMAG0875

The mortuary chapel was listed in the 1980s:

IMAG0863 

IMAG0862

I liked the way this angel glanced over at us:

IMAG0870 

IMAG0868 IMAG0873

cherubs… love ‘em or hate ‘em

IMAG0878

And a familiar grave:

IMAG0879

I have always noticed that gravestones rarely give any information about the way someone died, or the way someone lived. I found two here – the way two people lived that was rather comprehensive:

IMAG0881

and the way one person died which left the air hanging with something I couldn’t quite grasp:IMAG0882

A butterfly:

IMAG0886

and a hanging flying thing I didn’t recognise:IMAG0884

I still prefer old churchyards.

3 Comments:

Blogger Graham and Jill Findlay said...

We were in High Offley graveyard recently and on one gravestone it said "Went to sleep" and a date, seems a dangerous place for a snooze. One snore and you're buried.

7:40 AM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

Brilliant!!!

IN other news I think the flying thing is a Bombylius

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

Hones Banbury - must be deceased Boaters.

Mike

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home