Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Away at Easter

I have been in the habit of recent years to enjoy a long Easter break out on the boat. The first year was an ‘epic’ cruise (for me) to a banter at the Bridge Inn at Napton and a reminder of how beautiful the summit is.  Since then I have travelled to Cropredy and then returned home. Last year I went with my friend 8ch and we had a great time walking the fields with Boots and generally relaxing and taking it easy.  One of our walks took us up north of Cropredy locks and I really had the desire to boat further and explore that stretch of canal again. This year I think I will start, rather than end, my Easter Cruise at Cropredy and head up to Braunston. I think I will go up to Rugby as there are no locks, but I wonder whether there will be time to do the Tunnels Braunston and Blisworth on the way back. 

This means heading North in time to arrive in Cropredy to start my trip and ensuring my commute to work is successful. I am rather looking forward to it.

Whether I actually do this or not is another matter – I was meandering down the Thames at the weekend wondering whether I should try and get down to the River Wey or even the Basingstoke Canal for Easter.

4 Comments:

Blogger Andy Tidy said...

Is the Basingstoke ever navigable? I thought the locks were US
Andy

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Charlie :) said...

i bet you can't get nearly banned from the Wey though.....

I want to go boating.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

Lots of locks between Braunston Turn and Stoke Bruerin

5:36 PM  
Blogger Oakie said...

The Basingtoke is still un-navigable - short of water! What a tragedy after all the effort put in by WRG and all! Lesson learnt - don't put a newly restored canal into the hands of local councils, who know nothing at all about it, and are not even interested!! The Wey Navigation, however, is brilliant!

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home