Monday, March 08, 2010

Gear Box Galore

You would have thought I would have learnt by now, but NO! I still have not. I fitted the new gear box yesterday. 

There is something quite rewarding about sitting in front of two gear boxes: 

07032010433

The big metal bit is the bell housing which is bolted onto the new box before fitting.  Fortunately the bell housing has a detachable plate (which is in the picture) so I didn’t have to lift the engine or do anything drastic!

When I first tested the box I nearly forgot to put the oil in which would have been very stupid indeed.  Then, when I started it all up I put the control lever on the instrument panel in reverse and the boat started moving forwards!  I really did wonder whether I had put it in the wrong way around, but fortunately that is impossible! 

The sun went in before I managed to sort out the lack of reverse but this evening will see me scrabbling around in the bilges trying to work out whether it is the gear box (the levers all seem to move but I will try disconnecting them to see whether I can get it to engage) or the Control Lever. 

I really MUST put lights in the engine room.

3 Comments:

Blogger WeepingCross said...

The soft focus makes it look curiously like a photoshoot for a Sunday magazine ...

8:15 PM  
Blogger Halfie said...

Did it go astern when you put the lever forwards?

12:27 AM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

Halfie - I am afraid not!

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home