Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The cottage of dreams

The front:

Through the front door:

the kitchen:

and the route home (along the towpath, over a bridge, up the lane,over a train track, through a field of cows and up another lane)


So, I saw the cottage. I have endless ideas, thoughts and dreams, but I just can't see how I can live them out. Thankfully there are many dreams in this world, and many moments to live out. I just love the look of this place, and I will always love a ruin. I always have. Indeed, there was a beautiful cottage not far from Bicester that I fell in love with. The oven was a stone fire, and the bathroom was a bath in the garden that filled with rain water. Like this cottage it was boarded up. I enquired about a mortgage, and all was going well but then I learnt that the owners were going to embark upon a dutch auction. I pulled out. There would probably have been more frogs there than I would have been happy with.

I love this place, I don't know why, I just do. Whoever ends up with it will have a faulous time making it habitable and exploring its potential. What will be a complete loss, is if a developer buys it, or someone wanting to make some money. This place needs to be cherished, looked after and fulfilled. Sadly that requires a healthy income, and academics like me can only dream!

Dont get me wrong, I am VERY thankful for what I do have!

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Dreams are good!

10:01 PM  
Blogger valonia said...

Wouldn't it make the most beautiful-est home? Let's all chip in and buy it together and take turns living in it.

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When looking at it did you not feel a book coming on? There must be an inspired publisher who would give a generous advance.

12:49 PM  
Blogger WeepingCross said...

People have done madder things. I think the crucial question is whether you can actually make something of it from which you can actually recoup (most of) what you might spend on it!

1:39 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

Mukiwa - that sounds fabulous, do you know one?!

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No. However I do know an author so I'll ask him what he would suggest.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Halfie said...

Valonia - don't tempt me!

5:51 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

i would be more than happy to write a book about any subject, however I suspect in todays climate it is pretty difficult getting a publisher....

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home