Sunday, June 29, 2008

Bones' Holiday - the diary

So, the first update is the diary of the holiday.

Saturday 21st.
So begins the start of the long awaited holiday, oh to be away from the hussle of daily existence, and in the arms of relaxation and sleep!! I am really looking forward to being in a different county. Armed with the most delicious cake in the world and a loaf of bread we headed off to Worcester.
The Apartment, which is part of a vineyard, has a bath. swoon.

Spent most of the afternoon and evening with Postcode Dave, Keeping Up and Cheshire Rose at the Anchor pub in Coven. It took ages trying to find it, not least because it dawned on me as we were driving towards the direction I thought we should be going (Wolverhampton) that I couldn’t remember the name of the village, or the pub! Thankfully it all came to be in a blinding flash of light. A lovely start to the holidays.

Sunday 22nd.
A glorious bath. Baths are brilliant. Watched some DVDs and stared out the window across the valley to the vineyard and began to relax.
Land birds make quite a change from water foul. Firstly they don't peck the side of your boat incessantly, second they eat from a confined space. They make a lot of noise too. I wonder whether the pheasant will accidentally trip over and die so I can have another go and eating one....

Badgers and Foxes feed from the patio below the window.

Tuesday 24th. A day with the Ruins
Witley Court Ruins are knee bendingly glorious - A manor house turned Jacobean and then through ornate twiddles and pillars to regency and splendor was burnt and subsequently abandoned. Now taken over by English Heritage, it is a glorious ruin. Not far away is the beautiful Witley Parish Church which has the finest ecclesiastical interiors in the country. A FINE display of baroque; James Gibbs was the architect, the ceiling by Antonio Bellucci and paper mache vaulted ceilings designed by Gibbs. I could have played the piano but the organ was being tuned. Rather amused that I could play the piano in this baroque beauty but not in St Helens Abingdon.

Wednesday 25th A day without Ruins
Harvington Hall is a Tudor manor house with numerous priests’ holes. The ticket lady almost danced when I strolled in - she rubbed her hands in glee exclaiming "a customer" and pointed to the price board with a sweeping hand of excitement and asked what I would like to chose. I entered as an OAP and promptly joined a school party in order to view the priests’ holes. Truly beautiful; the moated hall is divine. I DO like Tudor.

Hanbury Hall
A family home and again splendid, entering the hall with the grand staircase makes ones knees wobble. I think the boat lacks a grand staircase.

It was here I perfected the cattle grid stroll. Wait for a group and stride confidently in front of them and lead them to the cattle grid rather than the gates on either side for pedestrians. Then, without faltering stroll across the grid, and if you have an umbrella twirl it (I didn't). Once across take several more paces and then turn around and watch the glorious faltering and teetering as the group behind you all progress in silence and silly walks across the obstacle. I used to be scared of these grids as a child, what fun they are now!

Had a bath

Thursday 25th
Worcester. On entering the cathedral I had an interesting conversation with a chap who was telling me about deafness, he said the disease was "genita..." but corrected himself to Genetic just in time. I refrained from my usual peals of giggles. That made my day! Strolling back through Worcester to find the car the locals put on a splendid show and I watched a real arrest – a long chap who had been shop lifting.


Spent the afternoon in Birmingham and arrived just in time to watch the market dismantle. I just love the scene of tempermentality surrounding the apparent daily permanence of the stalls.

Baths are glorious.


Friday 26th
The Severn Valley Railway; absolutely glorious!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bewdley to Bridgenorth was a fabulous trip, and once in Bridgenorth we had a roast dinner for £3.50!! Marched Maffi onto the hair dressers and asked them to do a short back and sides. I am not sure he is so impressed with it, but he looks far better now. Bridgenorth church had a beautiful piano in it which I played for coming on to 40minutes. Wonderful to be able to tinkle the ivories once again; I really do miss having a piano.

Spent the evening with the Moles on the Staffs and Worcester canal – what a beauty that is! During the afternoon I found a dead duck with its skull intact, so put it in the car. Victoria and Ben Mole were very sweet and admired it, I think Victoria thought I was joking when I said I had a duck, or at least thought it was a live. The Moles are gorgeous, and we had a lovely evening!

Saturday 27th
Home time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home