Tuesday, July 03, 2012

The great car hunt

I do love old cars. I love the way they smell, the way they move and the way they look. They have bags of character and more importantly, they are great fun to drive.

As my circumstances had changed and it was about time a few others did too I started on a car hunt.  This meant my friends, thankfully, started the great car hunt too.

The first car was inspected thoroughly by a friend, a report written (and eagerly read by us all) and a few days later I was poised on the edge of my seat with another friend in front of the computer preparing to bid on ebay.  Friend was in charge of the buttons, I was in charge of the other buttons and all good sport needs a spectator and we had one sat watching us watching the auction.  At 10 seconds the bid was placed, at 7 it was registered and for 3 gloriously triumphant fantastic seconds I had won. Then I lost. Good bye Farina.

Then another friend and I went to look at a Morris – it wasn’t quite right so we consoled ourselves with ice cream in a petrol station car park at the back end of Birmingham before driving off into the distance with the Morris Minor at the back of our minds.

Who needs a Morris anyway.

But then another friend pointed out another Morris, not just any old Morris mind you – this one had a roof rack.

I happened to be passing the location and as I would be in the vicinity for the end of the auction I headed over.  My friend, myself and another appointed spectator/support team friend carried out a thorough inspection.  We went around the block a couple of times, confirmed everything worked at the front and the spectator confirmed the back seat was perfect for the all round bone rattling experience.  We decamped to the kitchen table, contemplated the car (and roof rack) and decided a price for the bid the following day.

Armed with laptops, back up lap tops, internet, back up internet, cups of tea and nerves of steel.  I poised my mouse over the bid button on eBay and at 10seconds things started to happen.  It was so interesting I nearly forgot to bid... but I did - just in time (prompted by the other eBay back up system on the sofa). Then we couldn’t work out whether I had won, or whether I had pressed the button in time.

I had.

I told everyone who would listen that I was the proud owner of the roof rack and we went off to get it.

Boots hated it.  He sat politely in the back as Dogs can be inclined to do.  When I stopped, I opened the door for his exit and he eagerly unwrapped himself and left the vehicle at warp speed. Later I decided to go out again so I whistled Boots announcing we were off on a jaunt.  He ran along the drive to greet me and then stopped dead – clearly remembering we now travelled under a roof rack and refused to come any closer.

Even the following day he had to have a bit of encouragement…

IMAG2014

A good night of celebrations, of friends, things and cars and in the morning I was ready for the journey home.  First I needed some pre-flight checks  and preparations to ensure I would make it home.   So after more scrabbling on the floor, a trip to the shop, more scrabbling, some hoisting and then some driving off into the morning I made it all the way home. 

So, how many people does it take to buy a classic car?

3 mechanically minded friends, an entire back up team, a celebratory empire, a batch of marmalade and one dog.

Thanks guys! You are all the BEST!

15 Comments:

Blogger Bottle said...

A little tip, take the roof rack off, this will enable warp speed and use less fuel. A win, win situation.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Bottle said...

A little tip, take the roof rack off, this will enable warp speed and use less fuel. A win, win situation.

3:45 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

But I LOVE the roof rack!

The roof rack does 39mpg. That included a long distance trip so I am running it around town and checking the mileage on short trips.

Then I will remove the roof rack to do it again and then I will have mileage with and without the roof rack.

The roof rack won't go anywhere if I take it off... :(

3:48 PM  
Blogger Bottle said...

Another tip. Take your boots off but you can leave Boots in the car. If he will get in.

3:51 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

Now, that IS sensible. They probably weigh more than the roof rack (and the car!)

4:00 PM  
Blogger Halfie said...

Excellent! What year is it?

4:04 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

2012.

4:05 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

oh dear, I am just too funny. Sorry Halfie ;-)
1969

4:06 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Wow - my first car was a Morris Minor and I loved it. Wishing you hours of fun!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Halfie said...

Ha ha! Same age as my Volvo then.

4:46 PM  
Blogger John Witts said...

That is one woebegone looking lurcher.....

I hope he's getting used to his 'new' ride!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Geoff and Mags said...

Great car!
I learned to drive in one of those!
Doddle to maintain, easy to drive and very reliable if not the fastest thing on four wheels. Just be careful of braking distances if it's still got the original front brakes...
Well done you!

6:44 PM  
Anonymous NB Floating Scrap said...

Poor Boots... Forcing him to travel in an old tin can could technically be considered an abuse of his canine rights. I will be filing a case on his behalf with my representative in Strasbourg. On a more positive note if you cut the roof off the car it'd make a most delightful portable skip... See you in court.

1:23 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

Boots, having discovered that the seat underneath his blanket is actually quite shiny, has decided he likes the new car. He also thinks it is stacks better than walking or other forms of exercise.... particularly as he can duck out of view when we pass any of his chums

1:28 PM  
Anonymous SnowyOwl said...

I had 2 Morris Minors, one saloon and one traveller. I loved them so much. My Mum used to call me Miss Marple!! Hope the car has a name, mine were Molly Minor and Trevor Traveller.

Enjoy it

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home