Sunday, July 01, 2012

The dent

The offending boat that ploughed intome was very much on the wrong side of the river on a bend.

The most disappointing thing, so far, is that the steerer of the other narrowboat didn't stop but, when my crew member said the inside of the boat was a mess and that they were on the wrong side of the river, he said he wasn't. I didn't engage in the shouting match and instead told my crew member the other guy knew he was in the wrong. There is no way he wasn't in the wrong but I was very disappointed not to have, at least, 'are you ok'.

I know where the boat moors between trips and I am hoping that when they return to their mooring (they have to pass me to do so) the guy will stop, apologise, and give me his insurance details. I am hoping that his reaction yesterday was a reaction and not a true reflection of the mans reason.

I imagine I am hoping in vein, but i will hope.

In the meantime my insurance are onto the case.

Pj, Maffi, Mel, Jan, John, Marianne, Steve and my crew member, thank you for the nerve calming, hero work and instructions on what to do.

Chris B - thanks for hero work and Tony - thank you for the information and for getting back to me - it was fantastic seeing your smiling faces coming the other way only moments after it happened.

George - thanks for reminding me where the boat's home mooring is and for your flotilla's waving and smiling - I hope we catch up on the way back!!!

Now, that is a lot of people. It goes to show what wonderful wonderful people I know and how fantastic the canal and river community are.

Now I hope.

6 Comments:

Blogger John Witts said...

I know they say boating is a contact sport, but this is ridiculous.

This is a dockyard job.

The other boat's skipper MUST see he was in the wrong. That he failed to even apologise or ask if you were okay suggests he was in a state of shock too.

But if you hope in vain, then he must be pursued by every legal means.

8:00 AM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

I do not hope on vein. It was an awkward time for everyone but the guy has made contact and we will hopefully exchange details.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Hi Bones, hope you manage to sort it all out soon and get NB Bones in ship-shape condition again without too much hassle. Best wishes.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Alf said...

Dont forget, as you were traveling downstream, you had the right of way !

9:41 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

Indeed, but there was absolutely no room between him and the bank for me to pass on his port side. My boat is a mess! BUT at least no one was injured, insurance is up to date and we are in touch.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Ken and Sheena said...

Hi Bones. Very shocked and sorry to hear about this. Where did it happen?

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home