Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Weekend

After various stresses that seem to follow me when I am trying to arrange a relaxing weekend with friends (let it be known that organisation is not my strong point but I do have particularly patient friends) everything finally came together and I set off. On arrival aboard Milly M  on the North Oxford I spotted my handwriting on the side – it turned out to be a ‘poem’ I wrote some time ago; scribbled on the back of an envelope in a hurry.

Maffi has had several false starts over the years from Oxford to continue his journey around the inland waterways and this must have been written during once of those false starts but now he has gone.  It was on the back of an envelope in my good old scrawl. ‘Oh’ said I ‘here is a poem I wrote’. ‘A poem?’ said Maffi ‘I didn’t realise it was a poem’. charming!

Such happiness I found here

Such sanctuary from my sorrow

And now as I stand here

Not wishing for the ‘morrow

Empty rooms, no laughter

But for you I wish and pray

A safely travelled journey

So again we’ll meet one day.

May the sun shine upon you

Radiant every single day

As the water laps around you

cruising through the day

Thank you for the cherishing

The fun and laughter here,

All I can now say

Is I wish this day

Weren’t here.

After a spot of lunch we went for one of my ‘short’ walks to pop to the shops – only a mile away. It turns out they were at least 1.5miles away but we managed to get what we wanted  - including a rather splendid drill bit Maffi had been looking for.

On Saturday night after a brief trip to the local pub we returned to have a look at their firework display.  I am not so keen on fireworks but here are some pictures.

IMAG0174

IMAG0175

On Sunday we took a walk along the rather wide towpaths down to Barby Marina.  Barby Marina isn’t even remotely finished and Maffi was telling me all about it as we walked back. 

IMAG0188

On the way back the Narrowboat Trust boats going past with Maggie and Barry on board.

 IMAG0191

In the afternoon the four of us went to Coventry Cathedral

5 Comments:

Blogger Nev Wells said...

Bones,

That is a poem of great quality and emotion, thank you for blogging about it,

Take care

Nev NB Waterlily

8:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Did you take it with you or just copy it?

12:38 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

Maffi - its still on the side in Your boat still. X

Nev - thank you.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OK

1:26 PM  
Blogger oldmonsty said...

Two rather brilliant posts, Maffi should feel very lucky to have a friend such as you. In fact we should all feel lucky to have a friend like you.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home