Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thrupp Lift Bridge

The lift bridge in Thrupp is electrified. On each side of the canal is a pedestal from which you can raise or lower the bridge with a British Waterways Key (I wonder whether the new charity will change that and all the locks…).  The design is meant to be for the single hander. If the bridge is opened with one pedestal (and and you have to leave the key in the pedestal) you can lower it with the other. However, the time delay is 5minutes. Until 5minutes has passed the other pedestal remains inactive.  I only recently learnt that the delay is 5minutes.  By the time 5minutes has passed most single handers have clambered over with a fine display of acrobatics and ropes to lower the bridge or have asked someone on the correct side to lower the bridge for them.  In some cases people don’t even bother with the key.

DSC00689

DSC00690

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

5 minutes is not strictly true unless they changed it since I left The bridge has to be up according to the digital display not the bridge itself.

9:00 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

It is. There is a delay, and I was told it was 5minutes. I also tested it a couple of time (even before you left) and the pedestal does not work EVEN if the digital display says it is 'up'. I didn't know about the delay until the other day, but it did remind me that when they were preparing to put the bridge in they did mention a delay. I have never had cause to experience it particularly.

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home