Thursday, September 02, 2010

Historic Houses: Tyntesfield

On Sunday Nick and I met up at Tyntesfield, a gothic revival estate in Somerset, for a quick scoot around before I had to dash off for a luncheon party in Bristol. 

Tyntesfield, the home of the Gibbs family, was purchased by the National Trust in 2002. Their appeal lasted 100 days and in that time they raised £8.2million from the public which I find incredible. The National Trust are restoring Tyntesfield to its former glory.

Tyntesfield is quite different in style to the church I visited, also Gothic Revival, in Norfolk last month.  The roof is being repaired and the public are allowed to climb a viewing tower to have a look.  It is done in such a way that you never feel as though you are climbing and when there it is as if one is on ground level, yet the view is extraordinary.  Never seeing roofs at that level makes the sight incredible, dream like and incomprehensible. I loved it.DSC07581

DSC07579 DSC07580

I loved the house too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home