Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Don’t mention the gearbox!

Right, the conclusion is that the gearbox is fine, it is the operator that is having trouble!  I have sorted it all out, and now it works perfectly… I just have one problem:

There is a lever on the side of the gearbox that the control cable connects to.  I was tightening up the lever bolt making sure it was nice and tight when it pinged. I didn’t realise I was so strong…  the bolt snapped. The lever is still on, but how long will it stay in for! Here is the snapped off bolt:

10032010450

so.. it looks as though I probably need to take the bit that is left in there out, even though it is doing its job.  I could leave it there but I know it will suddenly give way when I am floating down the Thames or at an another inopportune moment so it really does have to come off.  The problem is… to do that I have to take the gear box off!

AGH!  Time for Gin.

1 Comments:

Blogger nb piston broke said...

you will have to expose the offending bolt and drill a small hole up the shank and using a easyout tool which has a left hand thread remove slowly and carefully by the wak the easyout tools come in various sizes regards Paul

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home