Thursday, July 31, 2008

Bourton Lock Cottage

Finally the correct day and correct week for the Auction (and here) of the dream cottage arrived, so I pootled up with Maffi to see how it sold. There were numerous lots and I could see Maffi's hand twitching as a piece of land went up for 5000pounds, thankfully he saw sense! The auction process is fascinating, and I just loved the character of a chap with a Tweed hat who was bidding for several pieces of land, each time saying in a rather grudging voice 'oh go on then' 'yep' 'ok' and finally when it reached his limit he ended with 'nah, let 'im have it' in his country voice. He did get the last one in the group of three, but the other two reached his limit.

The lock cottage came up and sold for £86,000 in the end, a mere 1K above the guide price. I will look with interest as the purchasers make something of the property, and see how the bring it up to glory.

During the course of my interest I have learnt a little more about Irene who lived there before, but I don't know a great deal about her, if you do DO let me know as I would be interested in why she was there - was she an ex-boater for example, and how she interacted with those around her. By all accounts she was quite a character and I would love to learn more, especially as she lived in the cottage I fell in love with!

5 Comments:

Blogger Bruce in Sanity said...

Have you seen the Granny Buttons post here: http://tinyurl.com/57qnn6 ?

It contains a further link to some stuff from Steve Haywood.

Cheers

Bruce

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many years ago she cameout and gave me an ear full for reving the engin in her lock. "Go forward, put the button on the top gate and just stay there" I have worked locks that way ever since.
I also heard but don't know if it is fact that she use to write to Mr Finch while he was in prison.

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found this old post - I'm one of Irene's two sons. Comment back if you are interested in info on Irene or the cottage.

Rex

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just looking at an old picture of the lock cottage, taken in 1965, with the sole resident - a lady lock keeper - standing outside. Would this have been Irene or did she move here later on, perhaps in the 1970s?

I would appreciate any thoughts or information so that I can correctly caption the photo.

Thanks, Roger

11:35 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

Hi Roger,
I don't know, but I have enquired from those that probably do and I will let you know what they say. Irene never was the lock keeper, but I will let you know what they say. Have you got an email address?
mine is mortimerbones then @gmail[dot]com

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home