Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Concert - Saturday Night

Having arrived at Folly Bridge with JUST enough time to extract a shirt and some smart trousers, along with my delicious long black coat, I dived into my gear and whizzed off to Christ Church Cathedral to meet up with theweepingcross, and John, to hear Dame Gillian Weir play Messiaen.

I had heard of Dame Weir in combination with Messiaen in reference to a local artist who knew a psychologist/neuroscientist, who was interested in the fact that he used Messiaen to inspire his art. Thus I jumped at the chance to hear her.
I am not too sure what I think about Messiaen, I like some, and some I just do not get. It is rather like musical modern art. Anyway, I decided an evening of it would certainly make my mind up one way or the other.

I realised as I sat down to the concert that I had failed to extract my nice trousers, but rather the ones with a hole in the knee. Every time I crossed my legs some flesh peered out. It was only later, when I apologised to Weepingcross for my trousers, that he told me I looked absolutely fine but smelt of diesel.

The program was inter dispersed with Bach, and I was rather amazed at just how similar the two composers were. So much so, I rather lost track of which we were listening to! I don't think I had heard any of the Bach pieces before, and I certainly hadn't heard the Messiaen ones (I do have a CD of his work, but only the one).

I thoroughly enjoyed spending the evening with Weepingcross and John, I particularly enjoyed eyeing Weepingcross' cuff links - the spiderweb ones with spiders that wiggle every time he moved!



As for the music, I thought it was rather like a farting competition at a children's party. It was however played absolutely beautifully!

1 Comments:

Blogger WeepingCross said...

I see from the online programme that half the Messiaen piece titled did indeed actually involve wind, whereas we thought Irritable Bowel Symdrone Sonata was just our own intensely humorous invention. Perhaps he had more of a sense of humour than we realise.
In fact, 'wind' seems to be a leitmotif of your blog at the moment - I think that needs to b e reined in somewhat.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home