Friday, March 04, 2011

St Sepulchre’s Cemetery

This little gem in Jericho was beckoning me as soon as I looked out of the window at lunchtime and saw the sun shining against a blue sky.  Church yards are such restful beautiful places and even more divine in the glorious light.

It is on an the site of the abandoned Walton Manor farmstead and was born out of the need for a place to put the bodies following the Cholera epidemics in the 1800s.  If you are in the area, it is worth a visit; there are some gems buried there. Here are some pictures. I have posted my favourite one last.

DSC08436

stsep5

stsep7

tsep

I liked this lounging angel:

stsep4

and the Funky hair:

stsep6

But this is my absolute favourite:

stsep3

8 Comments:

Blogger Bella's Blog said...

Stunning series of photos.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What does chewing my chairs qualify you to do?

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

habidashery... see... art again.
Boots.

6:18 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

Thank you Bella's Blog!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Following your account of the cholera victims, I thought you'd written 'there are some germs buried there'.

7:19 PM  
Blogger MissT said...

My friend fr Richard Conrad used to go and say prayers for the dead here on All Souls Day. He said that it got quite frightening with all sparks flying out of Lucy's factory.

10:09 PM  
Blogger WeepingCross said...

What a splendid place, very surprised I didn't already know about it. When you told me you were at St Sepulchre's Cemetery I thought, What's she doing in London?!

8:11 AM  
Blogger BigJohn said...

Fab photos. The second one is by far the best IMNVHO - lovely!

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home