Monday, September 20, 2010

Cotswold Canal Trust and Aeroplanes!

Yesterday Nick and I took a stroll along part of the canal that is currently under restoration by the Cotswold Canal Trust. Some of it is in water, and some of it isn’t, but either way it is going to be absolutely gorgeous when it is finished.  Many parts reminded me of my lovely trip, with friends, along the Rochdale canal with the mixture of stunning countryside and the industry of times gone by.

DSC07727

We met up with some of Nicks great friends for part of the walk around Sapperton Tunnel which was the longest tunnel of any kind in England until 1811.

One end is Gothic:

DSC07739

The other isn’t

DSC07740 DSC07741

Over lunch in the Tunnel Inn Nick happened to mention he had tickets to the local Battle of Britain of Air Show so we whizzed over just in time to chase the Lancaster, Hurricane and Spitfire over to Kemble.plane1plane2

I was quite pleased to see the Vampire starting up (I like Vampires) and the transformation from the ground to air was stunning. It was so incredibly graceful! 

plane3

The Hawker Hunter was knee bendingly beautiful and I was rather taken by the sweet parachute that it used to slow down after landing.  It looked like something our knitting classes could have conjured up!

It is funny going to these things with a pilot because apparently some planes are ‘boring’ despite them doing all sorts of twisting and diving movements around the sky.  I heard some fantastic stories and learnt some incredible facts but I think my jaw has only just re-located itself from the floor up to the boundaries of my face. 

What a fantastic day! We finished it off with ice cream – which has to be the best ice cream I have had in a long time!

3 Comments:

Blogger John Witts said...

The Vampire features in a wonderful aviation/ghost story set in the 1950's by, I think, Jack Higgins....

Well worth a read!

9:37 PM  
Blogger John Witts said...

Oops, Forgot the title!

"The Shepherd"

9:38 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

Ooh! I will see about getting it.. Thanks

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home