Monday, January 04, 2010

Academic Funding

well, this boating malarkey has to be funded, and my chosen career in academia has hit a point where I have to get my own funding to progress if I want to keep working on my current projects which are taking some very interesting directions. It would be a shame to leave them, and Oxford behind, so I need to get cracking. I have the ideas, but not the money.

I am finding the whole process of finding funding very frustrating, not least because I am too dumb to understand the websites or work out what it is I need to apply for and from where!

Irritatingly I missed the opportunity to apply for ethical funding as the dead line swung past me before I noticed and the next dead line is a bit too late.

If only I could just walk into an already funded post, but even us scientists have to grow up sometime and hold our own purse strings.  I just wish I knew what I was looking for!

3 Comments:

Blogger Bruce in Sanity said...

How much support are you getting from your Department? They ought to provide some mentoring/advice; it's in their interest to ensure that you are able to do research leading to decent publications, and to obtain the right grants, after all.

In Psych at UWB we took this very seriously, but then that's how we got to be a 5* Dept!

You are bit away from my own field, but I was Assoc Director of a self funded research institute in my last job, so do feel free to email me (bruce(at)nbsanity.me.uk) if you think there's any advice I might be able to give.

Good luck

Bruce

1:40 PM  
Blogger MissT said...

This is a huge pain, something all academics I know have to go through from tenured profs downwards.

I agree with Bruce - I'd have thought that the dept. would be helping with this? I guess you're already aware of researchresearch.com?

http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/rso/findfunding/

5:22 PM  
Blogger WhatKathyDid said...

If not the department, does the university/college? Not sure how Oxford works, but UCL has a dedicated team of people helping contract researchers and others find funding. Good luck!

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home