Friday, June 06, 2008

Slugs and Snails

On Sunday I was have pre dinner drinks in the garden with Weeping Cross, the lovely Sarah and Alex while the lovely C and J cooked us a delicious dinner. Sarah was regaling us with the gardens slug problem, and how it must be possible to eat them. I did mention my recipe for Slug Soup (which sounds so vial I would never even try it), but my offers of assistance were drowned out by WeepingCross' expertise on the difference between slugs and snails, and how snails may be edible, but slugs were not, under any circumstances, anything like snails, and more to the point were NOT snails without shells. Actually, we had quite a speech about it. This in itself was enchanting as I tucked into my drink, but what was alarming was the draw dropping conversation following that where WeepingCross and the lovely Sarah were comparing notes on the difference between slug and snail slime, and the habits of these invertebrates. Indeed, my mouth hasn't closed since!
I was reminded about this unique occasion where I was dining with what has to be the worlds two experts on slugs and snail habits, when Miss T posted about a snail on her window.
Do read WeepingCross' comments, his observations are quite remarkable especially as slugs move so slowly! I wonder how long it has taken him to gather all the data!

2 Comments:

Blogger MissT said...

I was quite taken aback by his post. TWC never ceases to amaze me by the breadth of his knowledge!

Death to Slugs!

11:44 AM  
Blogger WeepingCross said...

Yes, it was quite an unexpected opportunity to be able to hold forth on mollusc habits (from a position of almost complete ignorance, of course) twice in so short a time. Such occasions must be grasped with alacrity - almost as much as slugs show when presented with one of my new runner bean plants.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home