Thursday, May 29, 2008

Another Bright Idea

So, here I am aboard Milly M. As the water levels are rising, and the carpark etc of my mooring is inclined to flood, AND because I need to be in London tomorrow for a conference, I thought I would visit Milly M. The idea was the water levels would be better than at my mooring.... hmm. I am not SO sure this was such a good idea - I had to paddle to the boat. Maffi is trying to make me feel at home and is ironing my shirt - apparently I can't 'possibly' go to a conference looking like 'that'. So there he is, in the other room with the iron. He has been chatting to it for a good 10minutes, and recently started complaining at it. Then, in a moment of inspiration, he decided it might help if he switched the iron on. Bless him!

Earlier, having announced that he would have a boat guest for the night - me - I decided to take him to the local pub for a nice meal in exchange. I am still trying to convince him that part of a lovely meal involves sitting in the car park for an hour waiting for the AA man to arrive to get the key out of the door lock. For some reason it stuck in there. I blame Maffi - he was the one holding the key when my boot lock broke as well. Anyway, it only took an hour for the AA man to arrive, and then only another hour for him to get the key out. Then another hour for dinner to arrive and that was after we managed to get someone to take our order!)

The man is jinxt.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The man is jinxt." Given your track record I really do have difficulty in believing you said that.

Also please bear in mind his involvement with your good self extends to ironing your shirts unless you actually wanted horizontal iron creases in the sleeves of said shirt. or a life sized iron shaped charcoal panel inset in the back of aforementioned article of clothing.

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only two hours to get it fixed isn't bad. We broke down on Sunday at mid day on the M40 and manage to get to the services, The AA lorry arriver 1 hour later to relay the car back to Suffolk, say 130 miles. It turned up on Tuesdayat 1630.
They have given me a free years membership as compensation.

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you not noticed that the 'jinxt' only happens when the two of you are in the same place.

Do keep it up though, it does always give me a great laugh.

9:09 AM  
Blogger MissT said...

Hmm - as Mr Milly M used to be in the Armed Services, I can only assume that he had a batman to do his ironing.

Or maybe everything the Army says about the RAF is true?

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss T, I think you will find that all "working members of HM Forces" iron their own shirts, press their own uniforms and clean their own shoes. AND in addition they have to wipe the a**** of the Officer corps.
Been there. Done that. Managed to walk away with my life if not my entire sanity.

What do you think the pongos say about the higher life forms ??

6:13 PM  
Blogger MissT said...

Dear KH - a little bird, well not quite so little, told me that Maffi had been an OFFICER...

At least the RAF can drill...unlike the Navy :-)

That said, all my ironing at college was done by an army cadet in the room opposite..my shirts have NEVER looked as good since.

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aha! A response. Far be it from me to shatter any illusions or call your rather large bird a LYRE but Maffi is far too good & honest a chap have been a commissioned Officer. (I've only known him for 21 years so I might be wrong)

Cadets do iron their own shirts (and Boy, do most of them need the practice. And yes your shirts will definitely not look the same again.) but it, like many of the more humble skills, stay at the door of the officers mess.

Why ? To go on the p***. of course, which on reflection may be a much better option.

Do you know some sailors then? Apart from the canal boating fraternity..... Hee Hee

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nah, me thinks, not.This man not jinks. He is just a grand-dad

11:48 AM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

Anon: I am sure Maffi is indeed a grand/great/excellent dad... only his kids can testify!

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jinx was a cat!

jinxt -- dunno

grandads -- salt of the earth

10:09 PM  
Blogger MissT said...

Dear KH

Every nice girl loves a sailor! I have 'known' a number of services personnel (but never in the biblical sense) - but only when they have left the services.

My fave was an elderly ex naval chap, who ran out of his house waving a ceremonial sabre, when the local gliding club knocked his chimney off with the winch cable.

I don't think Maffi is jinxed - I just think he doesn't pay full attention to what he's doing when Dr Bones is around. And who's to blame him, the minute he pops his clogs she'll dissect him!

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss T. Thank you for that but that is far more information than I was seeking. (Closed door etc.)

"the minute he pops his clogs she'll dissect him!

Are you convinced she'll wait that long? And she has studied arachnid behaviour.

Maffi intends to live forever --- & so far so good.

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home