Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What IS for tea?

On Saturday morning Halfie and Jan arrived baring many things, including a pheasant which was still warm when they picked it up on the way to me. I have been looking forward to a pheasant supper all weekend, but first I needed to hang the bird to tenderise the meat. I hung the plastic bag up in the bathroom, then hung my darling boat-mate from his tender little feet to tenderise him. I then learnt that one has to hang such game from its neck, so I turned him around wiped his nose (which rudely dripped blood over the lavatory), and returned him to his place - hanging from the centre of the bathroom. I was growing rather fond of my centre piece as the weekend past, and yesterday I decided that today would be the supper I was drooling for.

Although I have done various things with various birds and rabbits, it was a while ago now, and all I can remember about the pheasant was it was hung for 3 weeks and that I am also not that keen on it. The taste is very strong for me, and not always something I enjoy. That is why I decided on a lighter flavour for the meat this time and decided to hang the bird for a few days rather than a few weeks.

So, today I picked up my pheasant from the bathroom and took it over to Maffis' boat; it seemed only fair that he should share the deliciousness of this gift as I am sure it was meant for both of us. I looked on the Internet and decided to skin the bird. It would be easier, tidier and quicker than plucking. It was.

I read a few bits on the internet and appointed Maffi as cheif gutter, he would do one end, and I would do the other - the neck. He actually managed to get the majority of the innards out after just a few attempts and counselled the pheasant throughout the proces; apparently, he said, we were hungry.

Maffi wasn't at all impressed as dinner gradually unshaped itself into heart kidney and other strange colours, and I think his desire for dinner was waning as rapidly as mine.

We looked at the mess, as that is what it was, and decided we would not have pheasant for tea.

I think I need more practice on road kill - skinning and gutting really does put me off my supper.....

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Er, yes. Fully understand!!
What a great laugh!
Sue

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phesant is normally only killed in season which is the winter months and hung in a cool place, not May inside a very warm narrowboat. Also it is normally hung as soon as it is killed to let it cool and not put in a Tesco bag in a nice warm car for a couple of hours.
I would have skined and dressed it straight way.

9:48 AM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

I have seen loads of them around recently though, and it isn't very warm for may! I wish I had taken the meat off it, but I think it was a little bit green in places... perhaps that is what put me off!

I will know next time!

Where are you based Brian?

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bones

Next time (will there be a next time?) chop off feet, garden secateurs will do it, slit skin up breast bone. pull skin down off of legs and peel back over body towards head. This will leave you with a "naked" carcase with all the feathers skin etc rolled up around neck. Cut off legs and breast meat and throw all else away. You do not have to enter body cavity at all.

regards

david (bullfrog)

10:29 AM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

that is exactly what I WILL do. It occured to me to do it that way when I was in bed last night. What a shame I missed that opportunity while it was there. The skin came off easily, I messed up a bit around the wing, but that can be corrected next time.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Halfie said...

Brian - I had two choices: either to leave the pheasant there in the middle of the road; or to bag it up, put it in the car for four hours (Norwich is just miles and hours from anywhere) and present it to someone who likes extracting bones. If it had been edible, that would have been a bonus. I suppose Jan could have been dressing the bird as we were driving, but I imagine it would have been a little distracting. Jan wouldn't have done it anyway.

Bones - did you keep the bones?

11:54 AM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

I kept the head. I just love skulls. I will see how I get on pinning the heron before I tackle another big bird again.

11:58 AM  
Blogger ditchcrawler said...

Hi Bones and Halfie, I live more out of the way than you do, about 5 miles south of Lowestoft. Our boat is moored at Napton by the Engine Arm. We don't live aboard but do get out quite a bit. When we saw you and Maffi we were on our way back from Cavalcade.
Bullfrog is right just use the breast and thigh meat, that’s try for most birds.

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home