Friday, March 02, 2007

Leaking Door: temporary fix

I took the door step/base of the door frame (which is what it is) off yesterday and discovered that it is pretty rotten: (the white stuff is not mould but spray foam insulation - I have NO idea how it got there, I can only persume the previous owner had used to to try and seal the step up in the past!



and thus the metal it attached to was rather rusty:



I decided that I really need a new peice of wood, and the metal work needs attacking with a wire brush to get it all clean, then repainted to protect it. This is a job for the spring when the weather is better. I will also take the opportunity to service the doors while I am at it. they need taking off and painting properly as water is coming in to them causing them to swell and stick. I might even get some metal doors, but I am not sure yet.

As a temporary fix I put the door step back and inserted some new screws which won't do very much as the wood is so rotten, so I rummaged around in the tool box and found a couple of brackets which will hold it in place. I put sealant around the metal/wood joins. It seems quite secure and survived me skipping on it, so I think it has done the job for a while at least:

2 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

Good work Mort, that should hold it for the while

10:09 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

I do hope so! It has so far...

All this rain is certainly alerting me to the 'weak points' of the boat, which is good news!

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home