Thursday, January 20, 2011

The day we found the moon.

There are often times when I look out of the window and wonder whether the world out there is the same as the world in there. Today as I sit resting recovering from the latest disease I look out and see blue skies, sun shining, frost on the ground and birds in the air. Today the world outside my window is the same as the peaceful quiet contemplative one on the inside.

Last night I looked out the window and saw the big heavy moon creeping through the woods and then, as I stepped outside for a closer look, it flung itself over the fields and hung in the sky gently creeping higher and higher lighting the path as Boots and I stood and watched. 

I love the big bold moon. It reminds me of the magical evening that my friend James and I found the moon.  We were in the car coming off the Oxford ring road having visited the boat in Enslow and noticed the huge moon skulking around the horizon looking stunningly beautiful.  We wanted a closer look and set off on a winding journey around the outskirts of Oxford, up into the back streets of Headington where we encountered many dead ends and moon empty roads  on our quest to find the moon.  We were about to give up when we decided we would drive up to the high point of Oxford, Shotover Country Park, and see whether we could see it from there.

We drove up the steep hill. I was convinced the moon would be ahead of us, and James sure it was behind us, either way we thought we might catch a glimpse of it.  As we neared the top of the inclined plane the bonnet of the car levelled out and there ahead of us an avenue of trees stretched out ahead of us. As we got closer and the car came to a halt there dead centre, ahead of us, in the avenue of trees the Moon loomed in all its glory staring us straight in the face. It was magical: a wonderful reward for our journey full of laughter and glory.

3 Comments:

Blogger WeepingCross said...

The amazing this was we did that completely sober. I always remember it when there's a big moon, too!

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Debbie said...

What a magical story. I too saw the big misty moon last night while on a bus! I was totally captivated by it, but none of the other people on the bus were taking any notice. How blessed am I to appreciate such a glorious sight, that other people just don't seem to see..

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Wiggins said...

The moon is so much more personal & intimate that the sun, yet I have never been able to explain why...

5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home