Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Keeping them out - intruders

On Monday I was reading in bed when someone stepped onto the back of the boat. ‘uh oh’ thought I, here we go … I thought I was in for a some dancing on the roof, but no, I was in for an intruder.  Fortunately I had locked the back doors and despite trying they could not get in. They got off the boat, missed my bedroom side hatch, and tried the bigger one which they couldn’t get in either. Being the sharp astute person I am I had no idea what to do so I sent Maffi a text to let him know someone was trying to get in – unusually I had a text straight back - he told me to put a light on… so I did. I had no more trouble. Fortunately 8ch was moored nearby and came quickly to sooth my quivering brow and inspect the bushes for suspects.

There is nothing quite like an attempt to make one survey ones locks.  I decided I needed bigger ones so I went to visit B&Q and left with lots of bigger ones.  It took me far too long fit the new lock to the side hatch and then decide the old one was better. I put it back and then stepped outside to break in… I managed to lift the hatch and the side doors came off - I caught them before they dropped into the canal!! I put another lock inside to prevent that happening.  Drilling through steel is not easy with a hand drill and my battery drill wasn’t really up to the job; it is quite old now. I think I really do need to bite the bullet and buy a generator. At least I will always have power to hand in case I need it, and I always seem to need it, until now I have relied on Maffi’s boat – power station that it is, but that isn’t entirely fair! 

I have now turned my boat around so the side hatches are on the wet side.

I went to the police station to let them know that fishy things were afoot and I saw this sign:

03082010250

I wondered whether one had to enter the station without a shirt on when it wasn’t hot. It wasn’t hot, but I kept my shirt on anyway.  They didn’t seem to mind.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's very scary - glad that they scarpered before doing any damage.

Sue, Indigo Dream

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home