Thursday, June 24, 2010

A week of Bones

On Saturday we met in the Boat Inn with Sanity Again, No problem and later BlackBess and 8ch. By the time Wrens nest arrived we were past it. It was a really lovely evening, full of laughter and interesting things - some of us ate but there was quite a long gap between ordering and being served so I will remember to book next time! I was drinking the most vile drink in the pub a vile pale green J2O – it lasts all night! NoProblem had a present for me which got us wondering:

A Badger Skull.

240620101239

I was a bit baffled by it as it seemed different to the one I gave my friend for his 30th birthday, and I did wonder whether it was a dog. I am pretty sure it is a badger though, probably older than the one I gave my friend.

In the post on Tuesday a lovely little package arrived from my friends Teresa and Dave – I used to moor next door to them (almost) when I lived in Surrey. It was something they found in the woods in Devon.

240620101232

I often get parcels delivered via the same person, and he is so intrigued by some of the shapes that he waits for me to open them to see what I have got ‘this time’. I don’t think he was disappointed with the unusual gift.

These skulls are an incredible reminder that we are put on this earth to look after our environment and everything in it. Within our life cycle other creatures are born, grow old and die and have, hopefully, had offspring. The rate our planet is changing not only affects us, but everything around us and I think all to often people forget that. It isn’t only humans that need looking after (and judging by the way I am judged, and the way I judge, not to mention amnesty international, we aren’t very good at even that) but animals need looking after too (as do trees, plants and fungus!). Hopefully all of them will grow to be old like the bearers of these bones. Life is precious and the skeleton is the carrier of life.

7 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

what kind of animal has a skull like that?

12:28 PM  
Blogger Andy Tidy said...

Hi Bones
I seem to have lost both your phone No and your e-mail address - silly me.
We are planning a trip down the oxford in about four weeks time and plan a two day layover in Thrupp, swapping the children over. Are there any 48 hour moorings near you and is it OK to park in the village for a week?

8:51 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

are you on facebook?

8:53 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

Carol - I don't think it is a skull.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Andy Tidy said...

Yup - under my real name Andy Tidy

11:00 PM  
Blogger Halfie said...

Bones, I can relay the necessary info to Cap'n Ahab if you like.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Halfie said...

Oh, I've just noticed - this post is a week old. It's probably all sorted now.

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home