Friday, May 28, 2010

Fortunate, so very fortunate.

This morning I rather liked the idea of a nice bowl of custard, so I looked in my cupboards and couldn’t find any. I decided I would, as it was an extreme circumstance, settle for rice pudding. I found neither so I went back to bed with a cup of tea and sulked.

Later I was heard to remark that I haven’t had breakfast because I didn’t have any food in the cupboards.  What I really meant was that I don’t have anything I fancy for breakfast in the cupboards and I decided I would get something later rather than at home. My cupboards are in fact full, albeit with dog biscuits, tuna, sweet corn, rice and mouldy butter, but they are certainly not empty!

It reminds me how we fortunate are to be able to think that we have no food, yet we do. It is a sobering thought and it is so easy to slip into the mentality that forgets reality.  I am, currently, one of the fortunate ones.

I remember having no food in my cupboard and no money in my pocket, literally. It wasn’t that I didn’t have any money, I did, I just couldn’t access it. The sense of panic didn’t last long because my dear mum gave me some money and I purchased some food. I am so fortunate and I forget it often.

I value times like these when I remember that the flesh I walk in is precious, the friends I have are lovely, the people I talk to are kind and the work I do is rewarding and although there are times that I have visited the dark places of life it is but by the grace of God and the kindness and love of those around me that the sun shines upon me now.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yawn

1:13 PM  
Blogger Halfie said...

Encouraging!

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you need to have been in that position to appreciate what you have got. Maybe 'Anonymous Yawn' was born with the proverbial 'Silver Spoon' in mouth! Just take no notice, though I could say more.

Ray Oakhill

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely post Bones. I am a writer and an English Instructor. I think your post has a lovely, lyrical flow to it; those of us who read and comment needs remember those who blog do it for themselves. If we are lucky they choose to share it with the world.
Blessed Be,
Jaqueline Almdale USA

5:14 AM  
Blogger nb piston broke said...

cornflakes and custurd my faverit yummy Paul

10:02 AM  
Blogger BigJohn said...

Superb post, Mort.

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

get a book started!!! get writing!

Free2live

4:17 AM  
Anonymous CutConnect said...

http://www.cutconnect.co.uk/

LOVE your blog Bones, would be great if you'd like to sign-up to our new boaties social networking portal.

Cheers
Neil - CutConnect

1:45 PM  
Anonymous heth said...

You just made me want custard. On the bright side, I have some.

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home