Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Busy Weekend

I spent the weekend on the maintenance point with this view:

DSC06503

And took down my ceiling:

DSC06506

Considering the bedroom ceiling was so easy to come down I thought the sitting room would be the same. It wasn’t. I don’t know what was holding it up, but the two places that were holding it up were doing a surprisingly good job! It took about 20minutes to pull the whole thing down once I found the weak points. It was a shame to dispose of the wood, and such a waste of resources, but that is what happens when you don’t do something properly. I hope that when I put the new one up I do it properly.  I am using ply rather than tongue and groove.

Then I moored up next to Mark so he could do some welding on Monday. It was too hot to cook so we all had a BBQ. DSC06509

It was a fantastic evening because Marks neighbours are musicians. Maffi had a go on the guitar and a tow path walker, Keith, did too… he was pretty good and him and his wife Linda joined us for most of the evening – they were passing through on their boat Voyager

Yesterday Mark took the flue off the stove while I was at work as it was being particularly stubborn and Boots had a lie down:

DSC06510

And then he welded up the hole:

DSC06513

I was chief fire putter outer as we were welding inside, and then outside.  The only casualty was Boots' bed, but I put that out before it was wrecked or set fire to the boat.

The angle grinding looked great from the inside:

240520101075

So now I am almost back on my mooring – I decided it was a bit warm so I moored in the tree’s. Needless to say it isn’t so hot today.  At the weekend I am going to put the new ceiling up. I have decided on Ply for the main bit and skirting board down the sides (ply is 4ft wide and the roof are to be covered is more than that). I will put the lights in the skirting board. I have been trying out some new lights over the last few days, but they are mood lighting so I will use them on the edge, and I think I may be putting a main fluorescent light down the middle. Whatever I do I need to decide quickly!

The ply arrived yesterday so this week I will put a protective paint layer on the underside (the side that goes against the insulation and won’t be seen), although it has been suggested that I really don’t need to.

I will fit the stove in its new position next week too but I need to get some parts over the weekend. – a new flue as the old one had rotted through, and a new reducer and lugs and fire rope.  I am going to be in Surrey over the weekend so I will be able to pay a visit to Uxbridge Boat Centre if I had time. I love that place!

1 Comments:

Blogger Keith said...

Back home in Devon for a while cutting the grass and cleaning out the chickens. Thanks very much for letting us take part in your evening, it was lovely to meet you all. Just loved Sarah's singing.
Take care
Keith & Linda

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home