Monday, December 07, 2009

Helene of Troy

I love this boat, indeed, I love any boat with three workshops, but Helene of Troy is the only one I actually know of. It is FULL of fantastic things. I was rather chuffed with this picture I took on the way into Bakers Lock. I took it on my phone:06122009749

Shipton Lock gets worse every time I go through it, and once again it isn’t on the stoppages list. The bottom gate is notoriously difficult to open, and today I noticed the leaks are even worse. This is the bottom gate with the paddles CLOSED.

06122009751

The lift bridge below the lock is getting heavier, Maffi wrote about it here.

As a single hander I really struggle with Shipton Lock and dread going through. I wish they would do something about it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Halfie said...

Bones, do you mean it's the top gate which is difficult to open (which could be the case with a leaky bottom paddle)?

12:48 PM  
Blogger Halfie said...

Or are we looking at the top gate?

12:51 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

no, that is the bottom gate. The top gate was always very heavy so BW drilled holes in it in order to make it lighter... but that meant the force on the bottom gate was increased (they didn't think about that) and now that the lock gate doesn't shut properly it is even harder to open!

12:59 PM  
Blogger BigJohn said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:36 PM  
Blogger BigJohn said...

Don't just blog about it, Mort. Let BW know by sending an email to this address.

Describe the problem and ask them to add your comments to the list of places they are considering when doing their prioritisation in the New Year. They seem to be listening.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home