Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Boats and Bits

I am seriously toying with the idea of sorting out my well deck. Those that know the good ship know that the drain holes are VERY low. Not only that but the well deck is quite deep. I am thinking of cutting out the current floor and raising it a foot or so. This will raise the drain holes, give me more storage underneath, and enable me to get access to the water tank to insulate it. Not only that, but the work shouldn't make my well deck any shallower than any other well decks I have seen - so the question of getting into the boat will not be an issue (i.e. I wont need a roof hatch, just a normal sized set of doors).

The question is - who could do it! I shall have to have a hunt around and see whether I can find a welder to give me a quote.

4 Comments:

Blogger Paul (from Waterway Routes) said...

The height above water to aim for it the guidance in the Boat Safety Scheme which says 250mm or 10 inches above the waterline.

"To reduce the risk of your boat sinking if it keels over or is excessively weighed
down, it’s a good idea for privately owned boats to only have openings which
are at a height of at least 250mm (10ins) above the waterline."


How high (or low) are yours now?

3:20 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

MUCH lower than 10inches! I darent say how low, but fair to say I have NEVER seen any so low!

3:26 PM  
Blogger James said...

But at least your well deck has got drain holes! Ours doesn't, because it's very low to the water, and so we have to keep the cratch zipped up well all the time or the things stored under it get damp.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Roger from Crown said...

.Hi, Regarding a welder to sort your well deck, I don't know if he would be up for it but Martin now Kedian Eng. was absoulutely fabulous at remedial works when he worked for Reeves boatbuilders, he travelled UP NORF and did some brilliant alterations to one of their shells, cutting out bow lockers and putting them in the way they were ordered.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home