Friday, January 30, 2009

The fridge and its habitat

When I lived on the to other boat, I had a gas fridge. It was a lovely little number with a freezing compartment for the ice cubes for gin, and a lovely little clip that enabled the door to be firmly shut, or just set to ajar.

On this boat I have a monster 12volt electric fridge. I have been thinking about exchanging it for a smaller one (with an ice box for the ice cubes for the gin), but as yet haven't got around to it.

What a shame these big fridges don't have a lovely little clip on them to keep them just ajar. They don't.

My current fridge is not switched on, and when I switched it off I forgot to empty it. Needless to say I haven't dared open the fridge to check out the contents, but I DO know the antique food museum will be flourishing in its microbiological field day.

9 Comments:

Blogger MissT said...

And if you ever get lonely you can just open the fridge. I think the ice for the gin argument is enough to justify the expenditure!

5:22 PM  
Blogger WeepingCross said...

I don't get the impression that this is a problem faced by all boaters!

6:30 PM  
Blogger Kev's Blog Space said...

Well if the weather forecast is right, alfresco ice cube making is on the cards very shortly.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Whitewater said...

I would suggest a Electrolux fridge. They options of gas, 12v and 240v. It means you can switch easily between the three depending on where you are.
I have had no problems with mine in 8 years and would highyly recommend them, however they are not cheap.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Simon said...

I don't have the same situation, but I'm just sorting out my fridge so it runs on a relay switched by the alternator charging light, like a split charge relay - so it runs daytime, but doesn't flatten the batteries overnight.

Anyway, sadly I find fridges that have been left closed not nearly as exciting when opened as the myths suggest. ;-(

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do boats need fridges in cold weather, what is wrong with the deck- or how about getting a hook made to keep the door ajar,

Free2live

7:01 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

We have just gone throught the major fridge change from Gas to 12v. We were unable to buy new Gas fridge, they are all sold with dire warnings about installing in boats. We now have a waco and this does have a nifty vent clip that keeps it ajar.

When ours was opened to replace 6 eggs were found. These are from august 08. I have not been brave enought to crack one.

12:24 PM  
Blogger S said...

This http://nbwarrior.blogspot.com/2008/01/dont-look.html is what you get if you leave a wrapped cucumber in a switched off fridge for two months - even with the door open. On the other hand, youngest son once left his lunchbox complete with cheese and onion pastie at school over the summer hols, and when we finally dared open it, all we found was greeny-grey dust.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I dont know how you have the cheek to tel me my fridge needs cleaning.

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home