Friday, December 14, 2007

Wood and Coal

It is quite nippy on the canals at the moment, but I made good preparations in summer storing wood on the roof for the fire:



actually, I didn't do a great deal:





During the summer I also collected wood from around Surrey - there are plenty of tree's there being pruned or chopped down. I should take this opportunity to thank weepingcross for saving his Eucalyptus tree for me - it is all logged in his shed., and has been drying out. I have burnt a bit of it, and it smells delicious.

Although wood keeps the fire going, coal chucks out the heat. There is a coal man - Dusty Mark - who supplies the coal. I bought 10 bags a couple of months ago and they are lasting well. I bought a few more bags the other week but Maffi has borrowed those as he is running low.

There is no reason for a narrowboat to be cold in winter, it is just like a house - heat it and you are warm, don't heat it and you are not.

Well, that is the theory! I am still getting cold at night, but some new thermals and an extra hot water bottle (a pirate one given to me by Eynshamgods and MissT should sort that out!

These winter months are simply glorious on a narrowboat. The fresh crisp mornings, the sunrises, frost on the trees, and wonderful fresh air is enough to put a spring in one's step. Not only that, but it is a good opportunity to wear a scarf and hat all day!

There is however nothing more miserable than being cold to the bone. So, thank you chums, Maffi, Lockboy and Weepingcross for helping me out with the wood situation, and hurrah to Dusty Mark for supplying coal!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home