Friday, October 05, 2007

British Waterways

Today I entered my engine room and found a piece of paper stuffed inside from BW. Hurrah, they have noticed that I am overstaying on my mooring. This in itself is good news, but the boat behind me has been moored in the same spot for exactly the same time, (and I know this because he is recovering from an operation and I am looking after him). Strangely enough, this boat didn't get an overstaying notice. This could be because he has been liasing with BW about his situation, but I doubt it - everytime he tells them about him, he tells them about me. His boat is smarter than mine; I wonder if that is why.

Perhaps the mooring lengthsman hadn't heard about the medical situation going on (and indeed the fact my engine hasn't been working), but if that were the case, surely they would have noticed my lack of licence as well as my overstaying and left a note about that? (incidently BW have my paper work, I just don't have theirs).

I am told I am being charged 25pounds a day for overstaying. I wonder whether there are any provisions these days for extenuating circumstances. I was very interested that the owner of the boat behind was in today and the inspector didn't bang on his door - I suppose his paint work is nicer than mine.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had a notice after being just 2 days on a 14 day visitor mooring.
there were other boats on the same mooring who I know had been there for over a month and they weren't given any bother at all.

Im not suprised at all you've had a notice and Maffi hasnt.

I will never understand the lengthsman lottery.

how did Maffi tear his retina? what was the cause? did it have anything to do with the ghost of a pissed off one legged heron?

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well honey ryder i hope you phoned bw up and complained. We had a (overstaying) notice a couple of weeks ago when we were on a 14 day visitor mooring and we had only been there 9 days, so phoned them up and told them that we hadn't actually overstayed and also that the "mooring warden" spelt the boats name wrong,wrote the index number down wrong and wrote the wrong telephone number for bw down too! As they supposedly log any overstaying notices etc onto their system.

Regards
KG

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home