Thursday, March 27, 2014

Ivy on trees

My friend has a keen eye for ivy and likes to stop it strangling the trees along the tow path.  When we were out for a walk he spotted this clump of trees covered in ivy. When I went past a few days later I noticed he had made a good go at freeing some of them up….
2014-03-25 07.27.58

There is an interesting RHS article here Link that starts off  'Much maligned, ivy is often accused of strangling trees on which it grows. The reality is often less sinister but there may be times when its control is advisable. In the border, ivy’s dense growth can swamp other plants and control here is often needed.'

Read it for more information.  That ivy isn't bad was bought to my attention by Dominic and I will pass the information on to my friend.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Wozie nb Oakfield said...

I very often do a bit of ivy 'pruning' too.
Although the Ivy is not a parasite it can have a strangling effect.
Also if it grows too densley at the top of the tree the weight of it makes the tree lean and it may eventually cause it to topple over.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home