Monday, January 13, 2014

Weekend of Walling

I was quite surprised when I took the old ghastly wall covering off and saw that the steel was in reasonably good condition.  The insulation (polystyrene) wasn’t even glued in so I had expected to see evidence of corrosion due to condensation forming between the steel and the polystyrene but it was in pretty good condition.  Especially as this is the kitchen.

P1030710

The top did have some corrosion but it wasn’t excessive by any stretch of the imagination and there was no insulation there

P1030711

Amazingly where tape had been used put over the box section the steel underneath was clean!

P1030716

I took out some old electrical cable that I disconnected within days of having the boat. The cable seemed in good condition but it had made indentations into the polystyrene

P1030715P1030717

The tongue and groove flew up and looks rather good.  I had intended to have cupboards on the walls but the gaps between the bearings/tubey whatsists/ is a bit big so I am reconsidering that.  Strangely my ‘I must have cupboards’ has turned to ‘ooh shelves’

6 Comments:

Blogger Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

I have always found this with cables and polystyrene, The polystyrene has always "melted" back and the cable has appeared fine. I don't know what tests on the insulation would show.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Don said...

PVC cable in contact with polystyrene may be a potential hazard. ref: https://www.google.co.nz/#q=polystyrene+electrical+insulation

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Wozie nb Oakfield said...

Looking good, so far!
Having shelves will save much work, as long as the stuff stays on them.

1:12 PM  
Blogger nb.bobcat said...

Try hanging wicker baskets from hooks. Work well as shelves and things don't fall out.

Love the reuse of clock casing. Fab u lous.

Kath

4:40 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Might that be real red lead on your steel? That would account for its good condition if so.

4:59 PM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

It might well be real red lead...when was lead banned? but it would have been on the bit that is rusted too.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home