Thursday, June 14, 2012

Narrow and Wide Beam Dutch Barge

Adam wrote about the narrowbeam Dutch barge by Wharf  House in Braunston, Tickety Boo,  in the December Issue of Canal Boat Magazine and on his blog here.  He was surprised how much he likes the boat, and I have often admired it as it went by. 

P1000734

I was quite surprised to see a wide beam equivalent in identical colours moored in the same town down the river:

P1000736

It looks like a Dutch barge but I wonder whether it is a widebeam version of a Dutch barge just as Tickety Boo is rather than one of those ‘let’s go to sea’ barges.  Either way, it doesn’t matter and I think it looks grand!

2 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

We met the owners of Tickety Boo at Hillmorton Locks last year (it's changed hands since the boat test), and I was able to tell them that I knew the boat. It's a classic colour scheme that seems to suit Dutch barges particularly well.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous NB Admiral Karl Dönitz said...

A very close friend once told me that if a boat smells of eels then it's definitely a Dutch Barge...

If it smells of Brasso™ then it's definitely not.

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home