Monday, March 21, 2011

Sophie Lancaster

On Saturday I took a walk over the fields with an afternoon play that Weepingcross bought to my attention. Black Roses: the killing of Sophie Lancaster on Radio 4. In 2007 Sophie Lancaster, a Goth, was murdered in Lancashire.

The download isn’t available any more.

It was incredible listening to the tribute and reminiscences by Sophie’s mother interleaved with poetry. I found one part particularly striking “I marched to the beat of a different drum”

“…I was strange, I was odd,

–aren’t we all -

there was something different down at the core.

Boy bands and pop tarts left me cold,

let’s say

that I marched to the beat

of a different drum…”

 

Being a Goth isn’t about wearing black. It isn’t just about fashion, architecture, music and art.  It isn’t a phase.  It isn’t always obvious but it is something you are born with. Like a lot of life it is as much about marching to the beat of a different drum as anything.

2 Comments:

Blogger artymess said...

I think we probably all march to the beat of our own drum...we are all unique ....

11:31 AM  
Blogger MortimerBones said...

indeed we are.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home