Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Art Aboard the good ship .I.

 

Canal art is traditionally considered to be roses and castles.  All the old boats used to have plenty of it, but its usage isn’t as prominent on the new boats (although it must depend on where you look!), and although the canal people of today have some, the walls of most boats are clear of it. In contrast I think I have the most cluttered walls in Christendom. Much of what is on my walls is what I call art. Many pieces have a story, and some are there for pure enjoyment.   As a result I thought I would have a look at some of the art that I have on my boat. Some of it has gone into storage while I move things on the boat around, so this is just what is left.  This is the first part and I thought I would start with the art people have given to me.

Michelle Fields painting of Northbrook Lock. I love this painting – it was hanging in the Annie’s tea rooms in Thrupp. Maffi bought it and gave it to me to thank me for looking after him with his bad leg. 

 DSC05357

This is a wood burning done for me by the lovely Valonia from The Green Man

DSC05358

This came from my Great Aunts house:

  DSC05370

Martin painted this one wet and windy afternoon on my previous boat.  Hannah, Martin, Anne and I used to spent time painting all sorts of things and this is a reminder of those times. I love the mouth on this painting – it is either a lit city of hopes and dreams or mashed up people. Judging by the mans eyes I am not sure he knows which it is either!

DSC05376

My mum sketched this:

DSC05372

Some friends took a year out and went travelling around the world. They came back with this little number – I love the vibrancy of the colours. It came from Nepal (or was it Peru..)

DSC05360

Is this art? It is really, it is a tooth from Shipton Quarry on a piece of slate from Shipton Quarry. Given to me by Maffi.  I glued the tooth onto the slate using super glue and got distracted.  I only just managed to save the act other wise my right arm and the dining table would be hanging on the wall too!

DSC05369

I also love postcards, and above is just one of the many I have around the place.  I particularly love orange cows. They remind me of a lovely trip through the highlands of Scotland in a vintage car with my father.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh that's where the tooth went. I wondered why I had a gap in my gnashers.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Halfie said...

Glancing at the pictures as I scrolled up I thought your mum's sketch was a Van Gogh!

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i copied that bones from a book, think in some sketch book,

6:29 PM  
Blogger valonia said...

Eeek. Hide that wood burniing I did for you... It's er, meant to be viewed in the dark!

x V

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home