Sunday, October 07, 2007

What a day!

This morning the RCR engineer telephoned me at 8:50 and gave me something else to try to get the engine started... but to no avail so I called them up again. This time they decided to send someone out; Oxfordshire narrowboats. The engineer arrived and despite fuel being in the right places, it wasn't getting up to the injectors. A bit of head scratching, and he decided to unscrew the engine stop... hey presto it worked. It seems that my cable has failed and although it was telling me it was fully pushed in, it wasn't. I knew it would be something silly. I have a new cable and will fit that!
Dr Bones felt the day was a triumph and Maffi said he needed water; no problem! Of we went, filled up and then it was time to reverse back to our new moorings where we will stay for 7days. This shouldn't have been a problem but his boat wouldn't go straight backwards and his bow thruster wouldn't work. Whats the point of having a bow thruster! Anyway, eventually I got the hang of it, and off we pootled over something horrid which wrapped itself around the propellers and stopped the engine. Ooops. After a brief cooling down period (for me!) I re-started the engine and it seemed that we got away with that one - oooh no - so down the weed hatch I went... once I managed to break the suction seal...grrrrr. On the way back I met plenty of trees, a man that refused to serve me gin and a patient (Maffi) who refused to lie down. He has to lie down otherwise we have to go through this again.

The canal is quite shallow here, and mooring up was a complete pain; I exhausted all my energy and then went to get my boat. It is always relaxing standing on the stern with a tiller in hand; but that karma soon disappeared as I tried to get the boat into the bank.

I have lost my lump hammer so I borrowed Maffis - what a pointless bit of stuff that turned out to be. A lump hammer with a plastic handle - pl-ee-ase! I managed to duck out the way as the lump flew off.

Eugene came to check up on the hospital boats with a clone of himself. That cheered me up.

I am exhausted!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home